Friday, July 27, 2012

OVER IT

On Wednesday, I had a physical. I wanted to talk to my doctor about several things like my seasonal allergies that seem to be every season her in VA, getting new epi-pens, and getting put on metformin, among other things.
The Doc comes in and we start of with my PCOS. He told me that there is no way I was diagnosed with it my freshmen year of high school because I was still developing then. I told him to look up the ultrasounds I had done to see the cysts on the ovaries.
I then asked to be put on metformin, which is a drug used in PCOS patients to help regulate periods without contraceptions. He told me that the only way to regulate them was to be on birth control. I told him that I did not want to be on BC because at this moment I would like to have a child. He then told me that at 20 I should be worrying about other things.
This is when I asked for him to prescribe me the met then I would go talk to an OB as a follow up. Then I left. I didn't get my epis or my allergy meds.
I cried in the car on my way home and it was the first time in a very long time that I felt like someone was treating me like a child.
I have done hours of research and have talked to many many women who have PCOS and are on metformin. I did not just walk in there blinding asking for the stupid drug.
Every time I tried to explain why I wanted it he would cut me off.
Between this and not hearing from my obgyn, I am fed up and over it. I am going to be finding care outside of Quanticos system.
I have grown up a navy brat, and have never in the 18 years that I have been going to Navy clinics/hospitals been treated this bad.

3 comments:

  1. It saddens me that you were treated like that. You should definitely tell the higher ups. Praying for you daily. Love you girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry....I do understand in a way. I wanted to be put on Armor Thyroid instead of synthroid, etc. I, too, researched for hours. The first PA I went to was willing, but her husband, the Dr. in the practice, said no. He would monitor it if someone ELSE would prescribe it, but he would not allow his wife to give it to me. (No, thanks, I'll give my money to someone else.) So I went elsewhere. The other doctor proceeded to laugh and joke about Armor hotdogs, etc. I was so angry/sad/humiliated, after 10 minutes I thought I'd have a meltdown if I didn't get out of there. Even so, he did refer me to an endocrinologist who did allow me to try the Armor.
    It is so tragic that those who "pledge to do no harm" actually do... I hope you are able to find a wonderful health care person who will treat you with the respect and honor you deserve.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up on their system. It will not improve for anyone else if you give up.

    Find a patient advocate. If there isn't one, go to the ombudsman and ask for help that direction. At the same time, Levi needs to bring it up his chain of command.

    ReplyDelete